[Statement of victims and families of coercive conversion program - 2/2] “Attempt to forcibly convert accompanied by confinement and strangulation hiring 6 hooligans … rescued by the police”


[Statement of victims and families of coercive conversion program - 2/2] “Attempt to forcibly convert accompanied by confinement and strangulation hiring 6 hooligans … rescued by the police”

[The unfamiliar word 'coercive conversion' has become an issue in our society since pastor Jin Yong Sik confined Jeong Baek Hyang to a mental hospital for the purpose of conversion in 2008. And he was sentenced in the court. At that time, pastor Jin was in charge of heresy counseling for Christian Council of Korea (CCK). Pastor Jin conducted coercive conversion program to people who attend the so-called 'heresy' including religion of Jung. After that, cases of coercive conversion began to become an issue. At the beginning, pastors stepped in and conducted coercive conversion. However, now the method has changed. First of all, coercive conversion pastors stimulate the fear and anxiety of the targeted believers and its families by slandering targeted denomination. And those families become to believe that their beloved children, wives and parents will make extreme choices due to falling into heresy. To prevent this, coercive conversion programs including illegal acts such as kidnapping, confinement and violence become 'only solution' to save their families. Due to those lies, coercive conversion is still occurring in Korea where freedom of religion is recognized in the 21st century. This article intends to serialize the tearful appeal of victims and families who have no place to complain even if human rights are violated and oppressed by coercive conversion program.]



  • 29-year-old, physically strong man majoring in Department of Physical Education 
  • Violence attacked by hooligans
  • Body being oppressed and fainted at the scene


  • Moving to a studio in the middle of the night
  • Coercive conversion pastor who is in charge visiting the Incarcerated sight
  • nonchalance witnessing mobilization of hooligans and illegal confinement


  • High pressure for consent to coercive conversion program
  • Harder to understand the program after hearing
  • Rescued by the police leaving a SOS note


Young man who was strong enough to study in the Department of Physical Education at the graduate school was not an exceptional for coercive conversion program. 'More powerful measure' was mobilized. Six hooligans were hired and showed cruelty choking when resisting.  He had to take the coercive conversion program forcibly at the studio with 4 hooligans present. Pastor Kwon who was forcing him to take the program processed it even after pastor Kwon saw all the situations and stayed natural. Lee Seung Hwan sent to a SOS note to refuse to take coercive conversion and declared independence to his parents. However, his parents are protesting that Lee ran away because of religion. 2 episodes of article interviewed by Lee will be posted. 

(Following the first episode)



◆ On Jan. 20, 21:00 coercive conversion program begins accompanied by mobilization of hooligans

While meeting a friend outside, I was told by my mother to come home quickly. my mother kept saying "Come home." especially on that day. I asked "What's going on?". However, my mother said I would know when I came. 

I felt strange, so I went home with my friends. When I arrived at the front of the house, my mother was on the 1st floor. I told my friends to wait for me hear the house and I went home with my mother. My mother was touching her cell phone behind me all the way home and she seemed nervous. 

I was about to enter my room feeling my mother's behavior was strange and heard someone running to me from the living room. Six sturdy men jumped on me coming into the room and strangled me. I fainted for a few minutes under the condition what I was not able to use may hands and feet. 

On Jan. 21 01:00~03:00 moving to the studio in the middle of the night

After waking up, there were six hooligans sitting in my room. They forcibly took my cell phone and kept me from going outside. 

They threatened me verbally and physically saying "You cannot go out of here. After all, you have no choice but to listen to the program (coercive conversion program). Would you? or would you not?".

I inevitably said "I understand.". Meanwhile, my friends who were waiting outside came home because I didn't come out. My mother lied to my friends saying "He suddenly ran out after hearing his grandmother sent to the hospital. So, he isn't home.". 

One of my friends among them experienced coercive conversion. So, he felt that the situation was the same as his case at the time and reported it to the police. 

Afterwards, police officers from Geoje 2dong district in Jeonje Gu Busan came and my friend requested them to show my face. However, the police said "Just stay. We will take care of it." And the police came to my parents. 

My parents lied again saying "My son has no problem." and the police went back down to the first floor without checking my face. After the police left, the hooligans kept threatened me saying " Is the person who reported to the police from Shincheonji church? What made them come here?" I was very upset and felt unprotected at the fact that even the police didn't help me in this situation. At around 3:00 AM, my parents grabbed my arm and moved to the parking lot being surrounded by hooligans. And, we arrived at the studio in Hae Un Dae.

On Jan. 22, confinement in the surveillance of 4 hooligans

Inside the studio, my mother, me and 4 hooligans stayed together. One of hooligans monitored me in front of the room where I was sleeping, another was placed in front of the front door and two were placed in the living room to watch me. 

I felt so frustrated facing this situation and told my mother "Why did you do this even hiring hooligans? Why not do it without discussing even if we can have a conversation?".

My mother said " I don't know anything about the Bible But it is not acceptable to go to Shincheonji." I asked to my mother "How did you trust pastor Kwon deceiving md and hire hooligans in order for me to drag here strangling me even though you don't know the Bible?" and my mother couldn't say anything.

◆ On Jan. 24, pressure to sign consent form of coercive conversion program

On this day, pastor Kwon and my father came and threatened me to sign consent form of coercive conversion program. my parents told me "If you want to get out, sign and take the program.". I said "I'm not going to sign and I don't want to hear.". 

Pastor Kwon said ok and tried to leave the studio alone leaving me in prison. So, I tried to say in front of my parents "I'm going out since he said he is not educating me." However, the hooligans blocked me in front of my parents. I urgently grabbed pastor Kwon's wrist and asked to let me go resisting them. While I and my parents were quarreling, pastor Kwon left the studio. I thought that if I didn't sign, the period of stay in the studio would increase. I felt greater fear against the surveillance and threats of hooligans. 

◆ During Jan 25 ~26 forcible participation in coercive conversion program 

I said to my mother and hooligans saying "I don't understand why I should sign consent form of conversion program.". They told me that I must sign so that the program would end early. and I decided to negotiate. 

I came to negotiate saying 'I will use the gym near the studio. I'm not going to run away. Wouldn't it be OK if I go with hooligans? I will sign if this condition is met.'. 

I was very frustrated because this program is very coercive and takes place until these conditions are met. However, I thought it might be a chance to run away. After that, I met pastor Kwon who was in charge of coercive conversion program and had to face 3 sessions. I heard many stories through the program but the stories were not objectively understood. 

I also learned that they only unilaterally criticize and slander without being able to biblically explain the exact answer. So, I was very upset because of pastor Kwon's act knowing that there are many other victims besides me. 

◆ On Feb. 4 conveying a SOS note, rescued by the police

At around 4 PM, I asked 3 questions during coercive conversion program with pastor Kwon. First question is why they are doing this coercive conversion locking people up. Second question is why they took my cell phone away. Third question is why they are doing this for. Here is the answer I heard. 

The answer was "Since Shincheonji keeps in touch, it intervenes in this program. As a result, people are not able to objectively engage in the program. So, we take the cell phone and process the program in a closed studio. And, the reason I do this is because this is the way of the Lord.".

On that day, I was rescued by the police. On the day which I was able to use the public restroom in the same building that I was confined, I threw a SOS note. The person who saw the note reported it to the police. The police came to the studio after the report was filed and I was barely rescued. 



2 comments:

  1. This is just wrong :(
    May the world take notice of this cruel forceful conversion so it is brought to an end. It's against human rights and religious freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coercive conversion is an amoral and criminal practice implemented by Presbyterian pastors who belong to the Christian Council of Korea (CCK). Thank you for raising awareness by posting this article.

    ReplyDelete

Adbox

@templatesyard